Period: Late Nineteenth Century
Height: 18 inches
Diameter: 12.5 inches (at top)
Of cylindrical shape with flared rim, having 2-handles, applied with the Royal Warrant between handles, floral sprays and moulded borders and rouletted bands.
Having been over-painted sometime in the twentieth century in forest green, the paint has part flaked off and gives the filter a rather overtly decorative feel. The stone is in good solid structural condition though has two old cracks and thus there are old repairs.
The Victorians cleaned dirty water by using a filter like this one. In 1835, Queen Victoria recognised the present health dangers in her drinking water and commissioned Doulton to produce a water filter for the Royal household. In consideration of her pleasure with the new device, Queen Victoria bestowed upon Doulton the right to embellish each of its units with the Royal crest of arms.
Once essentially a domestic appliance, this appealing lost relic of Victorian water purification is now a superbly decorative item, with lashings of possibilities, especially with the kitchen or garden in mind.