A Later Nineteenth Century American Travelling Trunk


Origin: American
Period: Nineteenth Century
Provenance: Unknown
Date: c.1890
Length: 28.5 inches
Width: 17 inches

A strong wooden trunk, with arched lid, opening to the original paper lined interior. The trunk is decorated all over with an attractive geometric linear design, between heavy black metal mounts and studs, two leather strap handles on the sides, and three metal clasps on the front. The central lock carries the maker's stamp 'EAGLE LOCK CO. TERRYVILLE CONN.'

The box has some obvious signs of use: there are old scratches, some pitting to the mounts, and one of the side handles has split, but it is clearly a well loved, well-travelled, versatile and essential object.

The Eagle Lock co. was established in Terryville, Connecticut, in 1833 and incorporated in 1854. At its peak, Eagle was the largest trunk and cabinet lock maker in the world. Unsurprisingly, Terryville is now the location for the Lock Museum of America, and it houses over 1000 examples of Eagle locks.