A Large Original British Railways Double-Sided Enamel Wall Sign From St. Anne's Park Station, Bristol; 'Gentlemen'


Origin: English
Period: Mid Twentieth Century
Provenance: Unknown
Date: c.1945-65
Length: 36 inches or 38 inches with mounting bracket
Height: 12 inches
Depth: 2 inches

The heavy, double-sided British Railways western region large enamelled sign, of right-angle type, with cream gill-sans lettering against a brown ground, hailing from St. Anne’s Park station, Bristol.

In good overall order, both brackets remain solid and in tact, the paintwork is in fine condition, with only a handful of small pockets of rust.

St Anne’s Park station was opened in 1898 and closed in 1970 with staff numbered at five between 1913 to 1933. The station was then unstaffed after 6th March 1967. A good photograph of the station exists online in the 1930s with the older style (and even larger) sign for the Gentlemen’s restrooms. The station site now has a significant amount of line side vegetation.

A wonderfully decorative sign today, that’s desirability and effectiveness, is down very much to its beautiful simplicity of design.