Period: Fourteenth to Sixteenth Century
Provenance: Formerly the Property of Hardman & Co/John Hardman Trading Co., Ltd.
The Largest: 18 cms x 10 cms
The Smallest: 4.5 cms X 5.5 cms
Other measurements available on request
The assortment of medieval stained glass fragments surviving from the middle of the fifteenth century through to around 1550, showing architectural, figural and animalistic examples to include an early leaded bird quarry.
All the fragments are interesting in one way or another with some good colourings and have been lightly cleaned. The lozenge shaped bird quarry is the earliest piece and does have some cracks but does not suffer any loss.
For much of the medieval period stained glass windows were the major pictorial art form, particularly in France, Germany and England, where windows tended to be larger than in southern Europe. Stained glass windows were used predominantly in churches, but were also found in wealthy domestic settings and public buildings such as town halls, though surviving examples of secular glass are very rare indeed. The purpose of stained glass windows in a church was both to enhance the beauty of their setting and to inform the viewer through narrative or symbolism.
Hardman & Co., otherwise John Hardman Trading Co., Ltd., founded 1838 and dissolved in 2008, began manufacturing stained glass in 1844 and became one of the world's leading manufacturers of stained glass and ecclesiastical fittings. Hardman and Powell also collaborated with A.W.Pugin's son, E.W. Pugin, firstly in the design of the funeral arrangements of the Earl of Shrewsbury in November 1852 and later after E.W. Pugin’s death in 1875 with the later firm, Pugin & Pugin. This collaboration lasted for three generations and was a major influence on Catholic church architecture and decoration in particular and the Gothic Revival in general. These fragments were part their estate. The most famous building that the Hardmans made glass for was the new Houses of Parliament in London, for which Pugin was the interior designer.
This collection could be incorporated into one panel or perhaps drilled and hung from ceilings as a decorative kaleidoscope of colour. However displayed these gorgeous fragments each give their own unique snapshot into the medieval age.