The painted oak hanging corner cupboard, showing the original finish now distressed commensurate with age, the shaped double-tiered superstructure above a bow-front decorated with a flowering urn to the centre with fish scaling and fish and ring handles, with pheasants and further floral motifs to the flanks, the pair of panel doors having the original escutcheon, key and iron hinges, enclosing an arrangement of two shaped shelves and base shelf, the whole surviving from the third quarter of the eighteenth century.
With the original paintwork and ironwork being retained the piece is wonderfully original, suggestive and decorative. The cupboard is in the sort of original condition that is hard to find and desirable as such with the only noticeable addition being the strip of moulding to the door, which could be removed if, so desired. The interior is also untouched. The piece has not been retouched or refinished in any way. The lock and key are working. There are several drilled holes to the carcass, some in rather unusual areas, for mounting purposes. There are no signs of worm and we have given her a waxed finish.
The first mention of corner cupboards appears to have been made in an advertisement of a Dutch joiner in 1711, these cupboards, with their carved pediments being part of the modern fittings of a room in the time of Queen Anne.
Nigh on totally original and beautifully decorative.