Origin: English Period: George III Provenance: Unknown Date: c.1800 Height: 14.25” Width: 18” Depth: 6” (each and at extremities)
The very decorative pair of painted Corinthian capital wall brackets, having aged rust brown paint to each over earlier Georgian red and green, with copiously carved acanthus leaf decoration in plaster and gesso over a pine carcass, each with flat shaped tops, and surviving in the classical taste from the early part of the nineteenth century.
The capitals are presented in un-cleaned and unr-estored order and are characterful with the overall patination to the surfaces appealing. Most of the carving remains in tact and softly worn with a handful of losses to each at the extremities on the acanthus leaves; please see the photographs for a visual reference. The capitals could be dry scraped back to the first layers of paint, the green and red under surface, though the rust top is still of very good age with bitumen to the whole. There is some evidence of old worm to the rears.
A Corinthian capital in architectural terms is the top part of a column characterised by large acanthus leaves and fluted columns, as we see here. We suspect they may have once been part of a larger composition.
Perfect for candles or the display of your favourite decorative objet d’art; an uber decorative pair.