The well and solidly constructed mid-nineteenth century Gothic oak hall benches having single planked seats and shaped ends with cut quatrefoil`s and pegged stretchers, one being five inches longer than the other, survive in original country estate order from the early to middle part of Victorian period England.
The benches are presented in good overall order. The patina is good an honest and there are no repairs or later additions. There are some nibbled losses to the feet to each bench, and we have given each a good oiling to bring them back.
The lancet or arched shape one sees in these benches is synonymous with gothic design, and the benches arched Pugin–like supports make them very aesthetically pleasing and desirable. Benches of this form are not particularly easy to come by; they may have hailed originally from an ecclesiastical setting but more likely an English Gothic revival villa or estate.
Augustus Welby Northmore Pugin (1 March 1812 – 14 September 1852) was an English architect, designer, and theorist of design, now best remembered as the leading proponent in the Gothic revival style, particularly churches and the Palace of Westminster. He owned a large collection of original medieval carvings which were a source of inspiration for his work.
Versatile, sturdy yet sculpturally stylish, this pair are wonderfully reminiscent pieces of the Gothic revival English country estate and all it entails.