Period: Nineteenth Century
Circumference: 9 inches
Height: 9 inches
Perfectly proportioned, the poison bottle of slender cylindrical form etched with the makers name and complete with the original claret red label having a ruled ebony border almost wholly intact reading POISON. The beautifully spherical stopper is currently jammed shut but with the application of warm water one may be able to release it.It is unknown which type of poison this bottle held but the exquisitely etched neck reads: ATKINSON, 24 OLD BOND STREET, LONDON. James Atkinson worked within this building, which was named J. & E. Atkinson's Store, 24 Old Bond Street.
Famous for it's bear grease amongst other things J. & E. Atkinson were perfumers and toilet-soap manufacturers and suppliers to the Royal family since 1799. This fine English company has catered to the tastes of discerning English Gentlemen since that very year.The building itself where this bottle was to be first found is now famous for its bell tower of twenty-three bells; Atkinsons Carillon. It was later taken over by J. Fox & Co. although the building still remains known as the Atkinson's Building on account of the name "Atkinson's" written in the brickwork which you can still see today.
An exceptional example of glass, apothecary and perfumery ware all rolled into one.