Period: Early-Twentieth Century
Width: 5.5 inches (with spout)
Height: 4.25 inches (at maximum)
Having the printed Mintons mark to base dating the piece, the pub jug with polychrome decoration “Dewar’s White Label Whisky”.
There is some general wear to the gilt and lettering and the interior is quite well worn, we suspect from the jug being used as a posy holder. There are no cracks, chips or signs of restoration.
Now merged with Royal Doulton, Mintons Ltd, was a major ceramics manufacturing company, originated with Thomas Minton (1765-1836) the founder of "Thomas Minton and Sons", who established his pottery factory in Stoke-upon-Trent, Staffordshire, England, in 1793, producing earthenware and from 1798, bone china.
The Dewar's whiskey brand was created by John Dewar, Sr. in 1846. Under the control of his two sons, John A. Dewar Jr. (Lord Forteviot) and Thomas "Tommy" Dewar (Lord Dewar), the brand expanded to become a global market by 1896.
Appealing to collectors of both Minton and breweriana, this is a decorative little jug that would add a welcome helping of nostalgia to a contemporary kitchen.