Origin: English Period: Late Victorian Provenance: Unknown Date: c.1880 Mary: 42” high x 11” deep x 13” wide St. David: 43” high x 10” deep x 15” wide (all at extremities)
The large moulded plaster figures, modelled as The Immaculate Heart of Mary ( or Madonna of the Sacred Heart) and St David, both with hollowed out rears having been removed from an ecclesiastical setting, and each standing on shaped bases, and surviving from the last quarter of the nineteenth century.
The condition of the figures is mainly sound though they have obvious losses, such as the arm and hand to Mary and part of the laurel to St. David. They also have chipped losses all over which make them decorative, please refer to the photographs for a visual reference.
Saint David was a Welsh bishop of Mynyw (now St Davids) during the 6th century; he was later regarded as a saint and he is the patron saint of Wales. David was a native of Wales, and a relatively large amount of information is known about his life. However, his birth date is uncertain: suggestions range from 462 to 512.
The Immaculate Heart of Mary is a devotional name used to refer to the interior life of the Blessed Virgin Mary, her joys and sorrows, her virtues and hidden perfections, and, above all, her virginal love for God the Father, her maternal love for her son Jesus, and her compassionate love for all people. Traditionally, the heart is depicted pierced with seven wounds or swords, in homage to the seven dolors of Mary. Also, roses or another type of flower may be wrapped around the heart.
A wonderfully decorative pair shedding some ecclesiastical light to any dark room.